Monday, July 12, 2010

Chris' Book Blog - Entry 6 - 2010 Jul 12

Pages: 87, give or take

Today I completed editing Chapter 5, section 1. That's 39 of 56 pages in Chapter 5. It's getting there.

I did add a page to Chapter 5. As I've repeatedly said, I am very dissatisfied with the first 10-ish pages. They were much older than the rest, and the writing was disjointed due to my sporadic work on the project. I replaced a 1/3-page section that I hated with about a page's worth of work that discussed one of the character's motives for a choice that he made. I am pleased with the result and I think I can apply this process to other tedious sections to keep the reader engaged.

I learned something today from Orson Scott Card's "Characters and Viewpoints" book, Chapter 1. Every character needs a motive. I intend to learn from this book, OSC is the writer I most look up to and he has a knack for making himself clearly understood, even in his writing-instruction books.

Still on schedule for July 23rd release of Chapters 5 and 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment