I've accepted a challenge from Derrick to write approximately 1,500 words per week. To be honest, I can knock out 1,500 words in a couple hours, but my problem has always been sitting down and starting. That's pretty sad because I have the desire to write, a good story, some half decent characters and 29,387,532 WPM typing speed.
So I'll be watching two of Brandon Sanderson's creative writing lectures per week on You Tube, with the ultimate goal of 50,000 words in about 8 months. And that's a minimum in my book. If I can get on a roll of sitting down to work on my book three times a week, even 100,000 words per week is attainable.
Anyway, today I revised the first half of Chapter 27 (meaning, I re-wrote more than half of it from scratch) and sent out 1,700 words to my editors. The rest of Chapter 27 is complete but waiting revision, and I hope to have that later in the week. Ch. 27 is critical to the story line, and my dissatisfaction with the first version is what prevented me from sending it out six months ago. So I used real life as an excuse to delay, but it really was an excuse.
So now, I'm armed with a new journal and pencil so I can get away from the screen and brainstorm, a new 11.6" laptop that weighs almost nothing but has a four-hour battery life, and a couple short- and long-term goals.
I'm hoping this teaches me the rhythm that I need to get into to succeed in this long term. Now I need a beer.
No comments:
Post a Comment