Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Chapter 17 Delivered

Well I had a really nice plan for Chapter 17.  Four scenes, spanning about a year and a half where Graedin's life could be developed to the point I needed it to be for the meat of the story (you know...the rest.).  Chapter 17, and I feel like the story's only getting started, sheesh.


Anyway, it got long.  21 pages after Scene 2, and I realized that Scenes 3 and 4 were likely to be even longer than 1 and 2.  So I ditched the idea, called 1 and 2 "Chapter 17" and moved Scenes 3 and 4 to a new chapter, pushing everything else back a notch.


To me, Graedin feels like a different character than Brand.  I hope he comes across that way to other readers.  I find myself writing deeper thoughts, using bigger words, and utilizing internal commentary when writing for Graedin.  I did none of that for Brand, but honestly I don't feel like I've had to force that.  I wondered if I would struggle with writing for multiple points of view, but I realized that I understand their characters so well by this point that my writing automatically adjusts to reflect how they would react to things.  It almost is unconscious, other than to be interested by the phenomenon.

No comments:

Post a Comment